Saturday, June 6, 2009

Commuting

With a 24-25km commute to work on my bike, you can imagine that this is the highlight of my day.  In the last two weeks I put in about 500km of riding in, about 250km of those spent completely lost.  Here are a couple of shots along the way..

Not sure
 what is going on here, but this was taken on the rail bridge that goes into downtown.  For some reason there are thousands of locks attached to the gate...must be art or something.  Notice the Dom in the background..and absolutely huge Cathedral.   Rani and I are planning to visit it today so expect more pictures later.





Pretty shot of the Dom from the other side of the mid-Rhine (Strasbourg is on the low-Rhine..might explain why the tap water in Cologne taste's so much better)


So I was riding along last weekend through some forest when suddenly I come to a clearing and here these guys viciously attacking each other with medieval tools of the trade...and I thought I was behind on the news!








Here's a weird factoid about Cologne..on Thursday moprning I was surprised to bump into a bunch of sheep on my ride into work.  They were all hanking out doing the grazing thing on the banks of the Rhine, right downtown.  The other interesting thing is that I was fully dressed with arm and leg warmers as I was soo cold.  Well it turns out that these two things are related.  Apparently it always gets cold at the beginning of June, and this is when they take all the sheep out as they prepare them for the great summer sheering.  But you have to be careful and wait until the weather picks up again otherwise you have a heard of trembling sheep.









No comments:

 
Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.