Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wires crossed

Lisa, our landlady who we live with, speaks english, french, dutch and of course, german. Her french and english are very good, but once in a while, there is a miscommunication.

Tonight while we were making dinner, Lisa was telling us she had a really good meat dish for lunch...called rind or something like that. I asked what kind of meat and she had to think about it while we shouted out "is it from a pig? a sheep? a goat? a cow?" until she exclaimed, "It's a man part of a cow."

Axel and I both nodded our heads and I said, "Is it a common german meat to eat?", while in my head, with Axel's expression surely agreeing with my brain, "why the hell did I just ask if eating 'man parts' of a cow is common in this country!?! i really don't wanna know!?"

Anyway, she said yes, it's very common...and then a minute later she double-checked what she said and then stated, "Beef. That's the word." Then she left to tend to her daughter while Axel and I collapsed in silent guffaws.
 
Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.