Monday, August 10, 2009

where to buy a bike in köln...and how to test your german

this comes with a disclaimer that I was only brought to this shop unknowingly.

Russian 1 had come to class a bit late way back in June and squeezed himself in the corner of the room next to the window, where there was already little space. Every 5 minutes, he would get up and look outside the window. At the break, he ran out and I watched him go and check his bike locks. When he came back in, I asked him if it was a new bike, and he said yes and he put two locks on it to make sure it wouldn't get stolen.

We have looked around quite a few bike stores and noticed that it is way more expensive to buy a bike here than in France, so I was curious to how much he paid for his bike. He told me that after class, he will bring me to the store. Price is too crazy to talk about in class.

Well, did that every peak my curiosity. After class, a few of us went to check out his new bike. Aluminum frame with apparent good quality welding, disc brakes, racing wheels...he got this and another similar bike for 300 euros total. wow. Axel and I have seen crappy bikes for more than 300 euros, used crappy bikes go for 100-200 euros. So yeah, this was a good price. Especially for 2! So we all went to the bike store together. It is on my way to school and I noticed it but saw that all they had in the front of the store was crappy old used bikes. When we went in, spoke russian, he took us to the back of the store...and there they were. Gleaming frames, with no labels, all waiting to be ridden. The owner was very wary of us being there, since there was only one who could speak russian, but he reassured him that we were all friends.

So now I can safely say that I know where to buy a bike in Köln. And that I'm in with the russian mafia.

Anyway, a few weeks later, I brought our roommate Jonatan and two of Axel's co-workers, Sarah from Scotland and Matthieu from France. I tried to get him to show us the back room without asking but because we weren't russian, there was no way he would. However, this was the first time I tested my german, in a real setting. Not only did we manage to purchase two bikes, but I got a discount through a bit of bargaining. I managed to impress myself. I realize now it's all about the confidence when you speak german. The sentence structure is crazy, but when it comes down to it, can almost be avoided entirely when bargaining for bikes with russians who really just want you out of your store.

3 comments:

Anna said...

was given the link to your blog by a mutual friend (Owen S) as i have just moved to Köln. he was right in thinking i would find it interesting -especially when i got to the post about finding a bike in Köln... i'm currently looking for one. are you able to point me in a good direction (or should i go and learn russian myself?) lol...

any tips would be great!

congrats on the new baby btw :)

ranette said...

Hi Anna! The russian store is near christophestrasse station...when you get out, cross the ring road (it's probably Hansaring at this point) and go WEST about two blocks. It's on the south side and it's called zweirad something...they only speak russian and german so if you can't speak either, bring a friend who can. Otherwise, they will ignore you completely and you will never get service. There's also something on Freisenplatz one saturday a month where people bring their bikes to sell. I can't remember if it's the first sunday or the last sunday though!

I might have a friend who is selling a bike though...let me know if you want to contact him.

Congrats on making Köln your new home! It's a great place to be if you are a party girl!!!

ranette said...

Hi Anna! The russian store is near christophestrasse station...when you get out, cross the ring road (it's probably Hansaring at this point) and go WEST about two blocks. It's on the south side and it's called zweirad something...they only speak russian and german so if you can't speak either, bring a friend who can. Otherwise, they will ignore you completely and you will never get service. There's also something on Freisenplatz one saturday a month where people bring their bikes to sell. I can't remember if it's the first sunday or the last sunday though!

I might have a friend who is selling a bike though...let me know if you want to contact him.

Congrats on making Köln your new home! It's a great place to be if you are a party girl!!!

 
Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.