Friday, September 5, 2008

A little americana

A friend just sent this.  If you haven't seen this Daily Show segment, it's worth a watch.  And makes you realize how important it is to emphasize that you are Canadian here.

I met some of Axel's class last night at an impromptu donair dinner.  It was there that I learned that although the class has people from all over the world on paper, in reality it is filled with Canadians and Americans with dual citizenship.  For example, Axel is not a Canadian in class but French.  There's another "French" guy who is really from the pacific northwest but married a french woman and has been living in Toulouse for a few years.  Apparently a "brit" from the states is here too.  A few people were implying that it was a way to fill the class with north americans.  I just thought it was hilarious that on their class list, the person Axel and I assumed was like him (someone with a french passport but obviously from N. America), named Kevin Smith, was actually from Lyon!  So in the end, we realize we can't assume anything when we see a name. 

Which brings me to our current morning chats...what to name the blueberry?  Thanks to all who have given us suggestions.  I am not sure if Baguette would be accepted as a name in France (maybe in Canada?).  It's original, that's for sure.  The space nerds last night LOVED Dartanian Vader so I'm keeping that one in the back pocket for as long as I can.  And if my wish comes true of having twins and a dog, naming just takes a whole new part of the brain I'm not quite ready for.  I actually thought this part of procreation was going to be the fun and easy part.  But now that it's actually happening, I realize that I can't really just pick a name because it makes us laugh.  Or that we will assume the kid will be able to change it eventually.  I remember growing up and deciding I really wanted to be named Cindy or Candy or Petunia or Penelope.  Just because my name was something they never could pronounce in the roll call.  So still a thinker.

Have a great weekend.   


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disclaimer: I have not had any practical experience regarding this matter; I'm just posting my own personal opinion.

Is "Dartanian Vader" really going on the blueberry's eventual birth certificate? I think it sounds cool, and not something your friends might think is strange (mine still have trouble pronouncing the name my best friend picked for her baby), but as far as baby names go I'm a fan of the solid kind of name that doesn't sound strange when you precede it with "His/Her Excellency President..." or "Supreme Court Chief Justice..." (I am trying not to think of this as an indication that I am going to be a pushy mom :-p) I figure I can give my kids cool nicknames to make them stand out.

ranette said...

Cara, holy pressure on your future kidlets! I am only hoping for a kid that doesn't spraypaint the side of the house and doesn't get kicked out of school!

Alas, Dartanian Vader might just be a pipe dream for now. But as we aren't trying too hard to find real names and sticking with the hilarious ones, I have a feeling it might be good to have that as a backup. It's a real shame that we can't just name it something fun for the first few years while it is still too young to develop a complex and then switch it to something innocuous later.

 
Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.