Saturday, September 6, 2008

Why Alsace is one of the best parts of France to live in

I was looking up doctors who speak english in Alsace and came across a great little website for people who are moving to this area.  It actually covers all of France but has a section for Alsace-Lorraine.  

I accidentally pressed "public holidays" instead of "social security" and discovered that Alsace and Moselle (another nearby region) has not one, but TWO extra holidays more than the rest of France!  Good Friday and 2nd Christmas Day (i.e. Boxing Day) are the bonus days!  I wonder why these regions are the only ones?  I'm sure I can wiki this.  

Another tidbit.  The European parliament must translate every document in 26 different languages!  Are there really that many languages in Europe?  I will look this up too.  

Oh, just realized Axel posted something.  Keep reading!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that's because Alsace and Moselle are the only two regions in France who did not sign the 1905 separation of Church and State...thus the extra 2 religious holidays...

Charles

 
Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.