Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mt Saint Odile!

After two weeks of being in France I finally got a chance to get out on the open road..enfin! And as Rani guessed I looked for the closest hill and went for it. Turns out that the Strasbourg area is flat as a pancake so it's only after over 50km of cross winds and about six towns (some of which have some awesome cobble stone action) that I finally got to the foot of Mt St Odile. The best part about cycling around here is that there are bike paths not only within the city but also between towns so with a little planning you can do the entire ride with limited interaction with cars..awesome (Vancouver planners take note).
Anyway, Mt Saint Odile is 9km version of Seymore where the road is a little windyer and a little narrower, but there are just as many roadies ..so I knew I was in the right place. Of course once at the top, instead of a ski hill there's a chateau that's been there for hundreds of year, and a natural spring that as it turns out is a major pigrimage site..feeling more holy already. But not as holy as the guy who was filling his car with bottled water to sell in the town below :-)

On the way home I was starting to run short on gas..didn't plan on a five hour ride (as usual), and of course it's Sunday s everything is closed..dang! Luckily as I was noodling my way home I rode right into some kind of weird festival where there was barely anybody in the town but had these amazing floats all made with real flowers..insane! So I joined the parade, and with my snazy EV outfit people thought I was part of it..although I'm starting to notice that people here do like to cheer for cyclist..(tres cool). I finally found a gummy bear stand, which got me the necessary sugar to get me home.
till next ride
ax

1 comment:

Jean-Marie Bergman said...

Tu aurais aussi pu noter que le Mny Saint Odile a été le lieu d'une des plus stupides erreur de pilotage fatale. Apparemment les pilotes (Air france) se sont tropés entre le taux de descente et l'angle de leur approche.

 
Alltop. We're kind of a big deal.